The Meteorological Society of New Zealand (Incorporated 1979) is an independent group of weather enthusiasts with the stated aim to encourage an interest in the atmosphere, weather and climate, particularly as related to the New Zealand region.
To this end we arrange regular public meetings, organise an annual conference, and publish an annual journal and quarterly newsletter reporting on the latest developments in meteorology.
Anyone with an interest in the atmosphere, weather and climate can join and membership currently consists of a broad spectrum of the community both professional and non-professional. The range of backgrounds includes
- Meteorologists, weather watchers and storm chasers
- Climatologists, environmentalists and geographers
- Hydrologists and ecologists
- Sailors and divers
- Trampers and climbers
- Aviators and glider pilots
- Agriculturists and aquaculturists
- Astronomers and cloud-admirers
- Economists and engineers
- Professional weather forecasters